Patient Care Technician
Offered as an occupational course after the completion of Nurse Aide at the 12th-grade level, Patient Care Technician emphasizes the study of nursing occupations as related to the healthcare system. Students study normal growth and development, simple body structure and function, medical terminology, and are introduced to microbes and disease. Upon completion of the course, students will have mastered the skills needed to perform electrocardiograms (ECGs); execute basic medical, lab, and exam procedures; draw blood; and provide basic patient/client care. Students will be eligible to take the National Certification Exams to become Certified Phlebotomy Technicians, Certified ECG Technicians, and Certified Patient Care Technicians. Contextual instruction and student participation in co-curricular career and technical student organization (CTSO) activities will develop leadership, interpersonal, and career skills. High-quality work-based learning (HQWBL) will provide experiential learning opportunities related to students' career goals and/or interests, integrated with instruction, and performed in partnership with local businesses and organizations.
Use this to download a zipped Common Cartridge file containing your course and resources. If your PC asks you to select an app to open the file, simply click away from the app selection window. You do not need to unzip or open the file.
You will import the file into your learning management system. For further instructions on importing your course, see the FAQ section of our website for step-by-step instructions.
A combination of this course and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses, is a concentration sequence. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses based on their career pathways. A program completer is a student who has met the requirements for a CTE concentration sequence and all other requirements for high school graduation or an approved alternative education program.
Industry Credentials (Only apply to 36-week courses)
- Certified EKG Technician (CET) Examination (AAH)
- Certified EKG Technician (CET) Examination (NHA)
- Certified Patient Care Technician (CPCT) Examination (AAH)
- Certified Patient Care Technician (CPCT/A) Examination (NHA)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Examination (AAH)
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) Examination (NHA)
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- EKG Technician Certification (ETC) Examination
- Mental Health Technician Certification Examination
- National Certified Patient Care Technician (NCPCT) Examination
- National Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NCPT) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified EKG Technician (NRCEKG) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified Patient Care Technician (NRCPCT) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified Phlebotomy Technician (NRCPT) Examination
- Patient Care Technician (PCT) Examination
- Patient Care Technician Certification (PCTC) Examination
- Phlebotomy Technician Certification (PTC) Examination
- Registered Phlebotomy Technician (RPT) Examination
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination