Medical Coding and Billing I
Students will be introduced to healthcare systems, management of an office, and the electronic medical record (EMR) as it pertains to the field of medical coding and billing. Students will be introduced to the field of health informatics as well as medical terminology used to describe human anatomy and physiology. Contextual instruction and student participation in co-curricular career and technical student organization (CTSO) activities will develop leadership, interpersonal, and career skills. High-quality work-based learning (HQWBL) will provide experiential learning opportunities related to students' career goals and/or interests, integrated with instruction, and performed in partnership with local businesses and organizations.
Use this to download a zipped Common Cartridge file containing your course and resources. If your PC asks you to select an app to open the file, simply click away from the app selection window. You do not need to unzip or open the file.
You will import the file into your learning management system. For further instructions on importing your course, see the FAQ section of our website for step-by-step instructions.
A combination of this course and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses, is a concentration sequence. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses based on their career pathways. A program completer is a student who has met the requirements for a CTE concentration sequence and all other requirements for high school graduation or an approved alternative education program.
Industry Credentials (Only apply to 36-week courses)
- AAPC Medical Coding Examinations
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS) Examination (NHA)
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) Examination (NHA)
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- Electronic Health Record Certification (EHRC) Examination
- Medical Administrative Assistant Certification (MAAC) Examination
- Medical Coder & Biller Certification (MCBC) Examination
- Medical Coding and Billing Specialist (MCBS) Examination
- National Career Readiness Certificate Assessment
- National Certified Insurance and Coding Specialists (NCICS) Examination
- National Certified Medical Office Assistant (NCMOA) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified Administrative Health Assistant (NRCAHA) Examination
- Nationally Registered Certified Coding Specialist (NCCS) Examination
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination