Introduction to Health and Medical Sciences
This course introduces the student to a variety of healthcare careers and develops basic skills required in all health and medical sciences. It is designed to help students understand the key elements of the U.S. healthcare system and to learn basic healthcare terminology, anatomy and physiology for each body system, pathologies, diagnostic and clinical procedures, therapeutic interventions, and the fundamentals of traumatic and medical emergency care. Throughout the course, instruction emphasizes safety, cleanliness, asepsis, professionalism, accountability, and efficiency within the healthcare environment. Students also begin gaining job-seeking skills for entry into the health and medical sciences field. Contextual instruction and student participation in co-curricular career and technical student organization (CTSO) activities will develop leadership, interpersonal, and career skills. High-quality work-based learning (HQWBL) will provide experiential learning opportunities related to students' career goals and/or interests, integrated with instruction, and performed in partnership with local businesses and organizations.
Use this to download a zipped Common Cartridge file containing your course and resources. If your PC asks you to select an app to open the file, simply click away from the app selection window. You do not need to unzip or open the file.
You will import the file into your learning management system. For further instructions on importing your course, see the FAQ section of our website for step-by-step instructions.
A combination of this course and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses, is a concentration sequence. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses based on their career pathways. A program completer is a student who has met the requirements for a CTE concentration sequence and all other requirements for high school graduation or an approved alternative education program.
- Dental Careers I (36 Weeks)
- Emergency Medical Responder (36 Weeks)
- Emergency Medical Telecommunications (36 Weeks)
- Food Science and Dietetics (36 Weeks)
- Health Informatics (36 Weeks)
- Home Health Aide (36 Weeks)
- Introduction to Nutrition for Health and Medical Sciences (18 Weeks)
- Medical Administration (36 Weeks)
- Medical Administration (18 Weeks)
- Medical Laboratory Technology I (36 Weeks)
- Medical Terminology (36 Weeks)
- Medical Terminology (18 Weeks)
- Physical/Occupational Therapy I (36 Weeks)
- Radiologic Technology I (36 Weeks)
- Respiratory Therapy I (36 Weeks)
- Sports Medicine/Athletic Training I (36 Weeks)
- Sports Medicine/Athletic Training I Condensed (36 Weeks)
- Sterile Processing Technician (36 Weeks)
- Surgical Technologist I (36 Weeks)
Industry Credentials (Only apply to 36-week courses)