Training for Technology and Engineering Teachers in Summer 2023
Learn to teach a technology and engineering version of AP Computer Science Principles using computer control and robotics!
The NSF funded Project ExCITE has enhanced the Beauty and Joy of Computing (BJC) AP-CSP approved curriculum by the addition of computer control and robotic activities based on real-world, hands-on problem-solving challenges. This course combines STEM and computer science to prepare students for careers in the fastest-growing job sector in the U.S.! And, the curriculum is completely free to use! (You can view the curriculum here).
- Learn about computer science in a new and exciting way!
- Use robotic computer-controlled inputs, sensors and motors to bring projects to life!
- Learn Snap! a powerful block-based programming language
- Demand for computing jobs is growing at 13% every year (2022 Department of Labor)
- Get AP credit!
The summer 2023 PD program will prepare T&E teachers to teach the AP Computer Science Principles by Design curriculum (Virginia course title: Engineering Computer Science).
The PD is offered in two segments: A half-day remote session on Monday, June 19, and a five-day face-to-face session, July 31–August 4, in Richmond, Virginia, at J.R. Tucker High School. The PD sessions include use of the computer control and robotics kits.
Once you have completed the PD session:
- Attendees will receive a $500 stipend (first 15 registrants only)
- Free Hummingbird Premium Robotics Kit (first 15 once more)
- 45-hour continuing education certificate (everyone)
- You will be College Board endorsed in Virginia to teach and administer AP courses (everyone)
Reserve your place now. You will receive a confirmation email from ExCITE once your application has been accepted and your place confirmed.