Baking and Pastry Specialization
The Culinary Arts Specialization course provides students with skills and knowledge to pursue careers in the food service industry. In a hands-on environment, students apply nutritional principles, plan menus, use business and mathematics skills, select and maintain food service equipment, and adhere to safety and sanitation standards.
The curriculum continues to place a strong emphasis on science and mathematics knowledge and skills, critical thinking, practical problem-solving, and entrepreneurial opportunities within the field of culinary arts. Contextual instruction and student participation in co-curricular career and technical student organization (CTSO) activities will develop leadership, interpersonal, and career skills. High-quality work-based learning (HQWBL) will provide experiential learning opportunities related to students' career goals and/or interests, integrated with instruction, and performed in partnership with local businesses and organizations.
Class Size Regulation
A combination of this course and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses, is a concentration sequence. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses based on their career pathways. A program completer is a student who has met the requirements for a CTE concentration sequence and all other requirements for high school graduation or an approved alternative education program.
Industry Credentials (Only apply to 36-week courses)
- Certified Fundamentals Cook Assessment
- Certified Fundamentals Pastry Cook Assessment (ACF-NOCTI)
- Certified Grounds Technician Examination
- Certified Kitchen Cook Examination
- Certified Restaurant Server Examination
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- Commercial Foods Assessment
- Culinary Arts Assessment
- Food Production Manager Certification
- Food Science Fundamentals Assessment
- Leadership Essentials Assessment
- National Career Readiness Certificate Assessment
- ProStart Certificate of Achievement Examinations
- Restaurant, Food and Beverage Services Assessment
- ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination
|Restaurants and Food and Beverage Services||