Students will learn about the technological and competitive advances now transforming the communications industry. This course will introduce students to the basic concepts and structural elements of voice, video, and data communications industry. Topics will include an introduction to signal transmission, attenuation, distortion, and signal propagation over cables, fiber, and air. User-premises based telecommunications platforms, switching, wiring, and networking, as well as facilities that provide and support telecommunications systems will be studied. Students will have the skills to become Certified Telecommunications Technicians, Satellite Technicians, and Certified Fiber Optics Technicians through Electronics Technicians Association International (ETA).
Contextual instruction and student participation in co-curricular career and technical student organization (CTSO) activities will develop leadership, interpersonal, and career skills. High-quality work-based learning (HQWBL) will provide experiential learning opportunities related to students' career goals and/or interests, integrated with instruction, and performed in partnership with local businesses and organizations.
Class Size Regulation
Use this to download a zipped Common Cartridge file containing your course and resources. If your PC asks you to select an app to open the file, simply click away from the app selection window. You do not need to unzip or open the file.
You will import the file into your learning management system. For further instructions on importing your course, see the FAQ section of our website for step-by-step instructions.
A combination of this course and those below, equivalent to two 36-week courses, is a concentration sequence. Students wishing to complete a specialization may take additional courses based on their career pathways. A program completer is a student who has met the requirements for a CTE concentration sequence and all other requirements for high school graduation or an approved alternative education program.
Industry Credentials (Only apply to 36-week courses)
- Associate Certified Electronics Technician (CETa) Examination
- Certified Alarm Security Technician (CAST) Examination
- Certified Satellite Installer (CSI) Examination
- College and Work Readiness Assessment (CWRA+)
- Customer Service Examination
- Customer Service Specialist (CSS) Examination
- Data Cabling Installer (DCI) Examination
- Electronics Module: AC (EM2) Examination
- Electronics Module: Analog (EM3) Examination
- Electronics Module: Comprehensive (EM5) Examination
- Electronics Module: DC (EM1) Examination
- Electronics Module: Digital (EM4) Examination
- Fiber Optics Installer (FOI) Examination
- General Communications Technician–Level 1 (GCT1) Examination
- National Career Readiness Certificate Assessment
- Network Cabling Specialist Certification Examinations
- Professional Communications Certification Examination
- Telecommunications (TCM) Electronics Technician Examination
- Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Examination
|Audio and Video Technology and Film||