2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Cyber Security and Cyber Forensics Infusion Units (CYBR/Locally determined)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Unit 1: CYBER SECURITY FOUNDATIONS
Exploring the Foundations of Cyber Security
Working with Virtual Machines
Exploring Cyber Careers
Unit 2: SOCIAL ENGINEERING AND PERSONAL CYBER SECURITY
Maintaining Endpoint Security
- Install an operating system and components.
- Install service packs and updates.
- Update installed applications.
- Install and update anti-virus/anti-spyware utilities.
- Configure critical operating system parameters.
- Enable security and auditing logs.
- Back up a system.
- Restore a system from a backup.
- Secure a router connection.
- Secure other personal/mobile devices.
- Secure a game console.