Demonstrate courtesies and etiquette.
DefinitionDemonstration should include
- performing a courteous, respectful, or considerate act or expression
- executing military customs to show consideration and respect for others (e.g., salutes, colors, rendering honors).
- What is the difference between a dining-in and a dining-out?
- Why is it important to render honor to the U.S. flag?
- How do military customs show respect?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will apply social science skills to understand that in a democratic republic, thoughtful and effective participation in civic life is characterized by
- exercising personal character traits such as trustworthiness, responsibility, and honesty;
- obeying the law and paying taxes;
- serving as a juror;
- participating in the political process and voting in local, state, and national elections;
- performing public service;
- keeping informed about current issues;
- respecting differing opinions and the rights of others;
- practicing personal and fiscal responsibility;
- demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that foster the responsible and respectful use of digital media; and
- practicing patriotism.