2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Army JROTC I (AR7913/36 weeks)
NOTE: Some of the content in this course is informed by the following sources:
- Army JROTC Leadership Education and Training, Pearson Custom Publishing, 2005
- Drill and Ceremonies (TC 3-21.5), Headquarters, Department of the Army, 2012
- Leadership Education and Training Core Materials, Student Handouts
- Leadership Education and Training JROTC Curriculum Outline, U.S. Army Cadet Command, Ft. Monroe, Virginia, 2010
- Leadership Education and Training JROTC Program of Instruction, U.S. Army Cadet Command, Ft. Monroe, Virginia, 2010
Instructors are asked to continue relying heavily on their branch-specific curriculum guides to complement this core set of competencies.
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Exploring Leadership Education
- Define leadership.
- Define followership.
- Explain the seven Army values.
- List the characteristics of good leaders.
- Identify the 11 principles of leadership.
- Explain the BE-KNOW-DO attributes.
- Explain the importance of drill in military discipline.
- Demonstrate effectual command voice in drill.
- Analyze personal strengths and weaknesses as a drill leader.
- Define morale and esprit de corps.
- Describe how to prevent and/or stop sexual harassment and assault.
- Create a personal vision statement.
Applying Leadership Skills and Strategies
Demonstrating U.S. Military Traditions, Customs, and Courtesies
- Define U.S. military traditions, customs, and courtesies.
- Identify expectations for inspection readiness (e.g., wear and care of the uniform).
- Explain the concept of rank.
- Identify U.S. Army ranks and grades.
- Execute the hand salute.
- Demonstrate flag etiquette.
- Demonstrate military greeting.
- Demonstrate U.S. Army regulation individual drill.
- Demonstrate knowledge of successful study and test-taking strategies/habits.
- Identify the thinking/learning skills necessary for improving active learning and academic performance.
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Create a written personal growth plan.
- Identify the importance of self-awareness and appreciating diversity.