2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Air Force JROTC I (AF7913/36 weeks)
Instructors are asked to continue relying heavily on their branch-specific curriculum guides to complement this core set of competencies.
Per the 2017 Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps Curriculum Document (p.12), “Course Offerings: All units have the option to determine which [courses] to offer to first-, second-, third-, and fourth-year cadets.”
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Introducing Aerospace Science: A Journey into Aviation History and Development
Exploring Leadership: Military Traditions, Wellness, and Foundations of U.S. Citizenship
- Identify the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Identify the U.S. military chain of command (i.e., organizational structure).
- Explain the history and importance of the U.S. flag and other national symbols.
- Describe the content of the Constitution.
- Summarize the responsibilities of the three branches of government.
- Identify the mission statement and core values of Air Force JROTC.
- Identify the importance of the Air Force JROTC organization, history, mission, purpose, goals, objectives, and military traditions.
- List the benefits of participating in Air Force JROTC.
- Identify expectations for appearance and wearing the military uniform.
- Explain the importance of attitude, discipline, respect, self-control, leadership, standards, esprit de corps, and etiquette in a military organization.
- Define the function of the group, including leadership and followership, and how it is formed.
- Define customs and courtesies.
- Demonstrate proper courtesies.
- Demonstrate proper etiquette in a social setting.
- Explain ethics, values, and morals.
- Identify personal behaviors necessary for improving active learning, academic performance, managing stress, making positive decisions, and dealing with emotional and mental health.
- Explain the concepts of rank, pay grade, and insignia.
- Apply the principles and procedures of drill movements.
- Define citizenship.
- Identify ways to contribute to the local community and the nation.
- Comply with procedures in the cadet guide or handbook.
Exploring Personal Wellness, Health, and Fitness
- Identify the functions of the systems that make up the human body.
- Identify the importance of dietary decisions.
- Incorporate a physical fitness program.
- Explain the benefits of a stress management program.
- Identify factors that can impede a healthy lifestyle.
- Analyze what to do in a medical emergency.