2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Air Force JROTC I (AF7913/36 weeks)
Instructors are asked to continue relying heavily on their branch-specific curriculum guides to complement this core set of competencies.
Per the 2017 Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps Curriculum Document (p.12), “Course Offerings: All units have the option to determine which [courses] to offer to first-, second-, third-, and fourth-year cadets.”
All tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Introducing Aerospace Science: A Journey into Aviation History and Development
Exploring Leadership: Military Traditions, Wellness, and Foundations of U.S. Citizenship
- Identify the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Identify the U.S. military chain of command (i.e., organizational structure).
- Explain the history and importance of the U.S. flag and other national symbols.
- Describe the content of the Constitution.
- Summarize the responsibilities of the three branches of government.
- Identify the mission statement and core values of Air Force JROTC.
- Identify the importance of the Air Force JROTC organization, history, mission, purpose, goals, objectives, and military traditions.
- List the benefits of participating in Air Force JROTC.
- Identify expectations for appearance and wearing the military uniform.
- Explain the importance of attitude, discipline, respect, self-control, leadership, standards, esprit de corps, and etiquette in a military organization.
- Define the function of the group, including leadership and followership, and how it is formed.
- Define customs and courtesies.
- Demonstrate proper courtesies.
- Demonstrate proper etiquette in a social setting.
- Explain ethics, values, and morals.
- Identify personal behaviors necessary for improving active learning, academic performance, managing stress, making positive decisions, and dealing with emotional and mental health.
- Explain the concepts of rank, pay grade, and insignia.
- Apply the principles and procedures of drill movements.
- Define citizenship.
- Identify ways to contribute to the local community and the nation.
- Comply with procedures in the cadet guide or handbook.
Exploring Personal Wellness, Health, and Fitness
- Identify the functions of the systems that make up the human body.
- Identify the importance of dietary decisions.
- Incorporate a physical fitness program.
- Explain the benefits of a stress management program.
- Identify factors that can impede a healthy lifestyle.
- Analyze what to do in a medical emergency.