Describe the privacy issues related to online communication media.
DefinitionDescription should include privacy issues surrounding personal or work-related use of
- social networking sites
- email (understanding the difference between personal and work-related use; the need for establishing a professional email address)
- texting/online chats
- virtual meeting applications
- voicemail and the need to establish a professional voicemail greeting
- search engines
- Why should you protect your privacy?
- What expectations might your employer have regarding your conduct, even in your private life?
- What practices help to protect your online privacy?
- Why does deleting information online not necessarily permanently delete it everywhere?
- Why should you keep a personal email account separate from a work email account?
Related Standards of Learning
History and Social Science
The student will demonstrate personal character traits that facilitate thoughtful and effective participation in civic life by
- practicing trustworthiness and honesty;
- practicing courtesy and respect for the rights of others;
- practicing responsibility, accountability, and self-reliance;
- practicing respect for the law;
- practicing patriotism;
- practicing thoughtful decision making; and
- practicing service to the school and/or local community.