2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Introduction to Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (9061/36 weeks)
All tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
- Complete personality self-assessment.
- Explore definitions of family.
- Describe diverse family customs and beliefs.
- Explore the cultural diversity of families.
- Describe personal interests.
- Compare self-concept with self-efficacy.
- Identify the benefits of developing self-efficacy.
- Compare and contrast common values and unique values across diverse populations.
Exploring Peer Collaboration and Communication
Discovering Learning Differences
Exploring Teaching Strategies that Foster Learning Communities
Exploring the Education and Training Career Cluster
- Plan short-term and long-term career goals.
- Analyze a sample plan of study for the Education and Training Career Cluster.
- Identify application requirements for the Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow program.
- Explore the admission requirements of at least one college program.
- Develop a plan to participate in cocurricular and extracurricular activities valued by colleges and universities.
- Research the Education and Training Career Cluster and one of the related pathways (i.e., Administration and Administrative Support, Professional Support Services, Teaching and Training).
- Reflect on the rewards and challenges of a career in teaching.