Application should be performed according to manufacturer's directions and should include the following guidelines:
- Read and follow manufacturer's directions for the application of a chemical relaxer.
- Apply relaxer to hair shaft.
- Perform periodic strand test.
- Rinse relaxer from hair with cool water with a steady flow of water away from the scalp.
- Shampoo hair with a neutralizing shampoo as directed by the manufacturer's directions.
- Recondition the hair.
- Towel dry the hair.
- Re-examine the scalp.
- Style as desired by client.
- Why is it important to read and follow the manufacturer’s directions for the application of a chemical relaxer?
- How is relaxer applied to the hair?
- Why should the scalp be re-examined?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand that experiments in which variables are measured, analyzed, and evaluated produce observations and verifiable data. Key concepts include
b. safe use of chemicals and equipment;