Demonstrate artificial nail techniques.
Demonstration for sculptured nails should include the following steps:
- Give plain manicure up to, but not including, application of polish
- Roughen nail slightly with emery board
- Dust the nail bed with a cosmetic brush or cotton swab
- Apply approved nail primer to surface of nail with a brush according to manufacturer’s instructions
- Peel nail form from its paper backing and, using the thumb and index finger of each hand, bend the tip to the desired nail shape
- Dip brush into liquid mixture, wipe excess material on side of bowl, and immediately dip the tip of brush into powder, rotating it slightly as you draw it toward yourself to form a smooth ball of acrylic
- Place the ball of acrylic on the tip of the free edge of the nail; form the new acrylic tip of the nail by dabbing and pressing material with the base of brush
- Pick up additional acrylic material and place at the center of the nail, shaping with brush
- Allow nails to dry and remove nail forms
- File a new nail to desired shape and then buff nails until entire surface is smooth
- Wash the nails thoroughly and allow them to dry
- Apply a base coat, polish, topcoat, and sealer.
Demonstration for tip application should include the following steps:
- Clean the nails, removing excess polish.
- Push back the cuticle.
- Remove the cuticle tissue from the nail plate.
- Buff lightly over the nail plate.
- Apply nail dehydrator.
- Choose proper size tips.
- Apply adhesive to the nail plate or to the well of the tip.
- Slide tip onto the client's natural nail, using stop, rock, and hold method.
- Trim the nail tip to the desired length.
- Blend the tip into the natural nail.
- Shape the nail.
Demonstration for nail wrap should include the following steps for each nail:
- Remove existing polish.
- Push back cuticle.
- Lightly buff the nail plate.
- Dehydrate nail plate.
- Apply nail tips, if necessary.
- Cut the wrapping material to fit the nail.
- Apply resin over entire surface of the nail.
- Trim away excess material.
- Apply nail resin.
- Lightly file nail.
- Apply one or two more coats of resin.
- Apply nail oil and buff.
Demonstration for UV gel should include the following steps:
- Clean the nail, and remove the polish.
- Buff the nail to remove shine.
- Remove dust.
- Apply tip, if necessary.
- Apply bonding or priming material according to manufacturer's directions.
- Cure the bonding gel according to manufacturer's directions.
- Gently brush UV gel onto the fingernail surface, including the free edge.
- Properly position the hand in the UV lamp for the required cure time.
- Repeat the gel application and curing.
- Apply third layer, if needed.
- Remove any tacky residue with a manufacturer's cleanser.
- Refine the surface contour.
- Remove dust and filings.
- Remove oils.
- Apply UV gel polish cure.
- Apply second coat and cure.
- What is the purpose of artificial nails?
- What are the different types of artificial nails?
- Why is it important to examine the nails before any artificial nail service?
- What is the stop, rock, and hold method when applying nail tips?
- What safety precautions should be used when working with artificial nails?