Apply first-time (virgin) lightener.
Application should include the following steps:
- Clean and sanitize implements and work area.
- Read manufacturer's directions.
- Apply lightener to 1/2 inch from scalp, up to but not including the last inch.
- Apply near the scalp ends with fresh lightener.
- Test for lightening action.
- Rinse lightener from hair with cool water.
- Shampoo hair with acid-balanced shampoo.
- Recondition hair.
- Towel dry hair.
- Reexamine the scalp and hair.
- Apply toner if necessary.
- Why is it important to read manufacturer's directions?
- How is desired lightening tested?
- What is an acid-balanced shampoo, and why is it used?
- Why is reconditioning needed?
- What is the purpose of towel drying the hair?
- What is being looked for when reexamining the hair?
- What is toner, and when is it necessary to use it?
- How are implements cleaned and sanitized?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand that experiments in which variables are measured, analyzed, and evaluated produce observations and verifiable data. Key concepts include
b. safe use of chemicals and equipment;