Identify various career options within cosmetology.
DefinitionIdentification should include understanding career pathways (e.g., nail technician, barber) available to a licensed cosmetologist.
- What skills are needed for a career in cosmetology?
- What specialties are in demand in the cosmetology field?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will read, interpret, analyze, and evaluate nonfiction texts.
- Identify text organization and structure.
- Recognize an author’s intended audience and purpose for writing.
- Skim manuals or informational sources to locate information.
- Compare and contrast informational texts.
- Interpret and use data and information in maps, charts, graphs, timelines, tables, and diagrams.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences about explicit and implied information, using textual support as evidence.
- Analyze and synthesize information in order to solve problems, answer questions, and generate new knowledge.
- Use reading strategies throughout the reading process to monitor comprehension.
The student will read and analyze a variety of nonfiction texts.
- Use information from texts to clarify understanding of concepts.
- Read and follow directions to complete an application for college admission, for a scholarship, or for employment.
- Generalize ideas from selections to make predictions about other texts.
- Draw conclusions and make inferences about explicit and implied information, using textual support.
- Analyze two or more texts addressing the same topic to identify authors’ purposes and determine how authors reach similar or different conclusions.
- Identify false premises in persuasive writing.
- Recognize and analyze use of ambiguity, contradiction, paradox, irony, overstatement, and understatement in text.
- Generate and respond logically to literal, inferential, evaluative, synthesizing, and critical-thinking questions before, during, and after reading texts.