Compare wet-barrel and dry-barrel hydrants.
Comparison should include:
- Wet barrel hydrant
- has water in the barrel up to the valves of each outlet
- is used in areas that are not subject to freezing temperatures
- is controlled by independent valves that allow for additional connection without main shutdown.
- Dry-barrel hydrant
- is used in climates with freezing temperatures
- is controlled by valve at the base that requires main shutdown to add connections.
- In what climates are wet-barrel hydrants found? Why?
- Where are dry-barrel hydrants located?
- What types of hydrants are present locally?
Other Related Standards
National Fire Protection Association
5.3.15 Connect a fire department pumper to a water supply, as a member of a team
...given supply or intake hose, hose tools, and a fire hydrant or static water source, so that connections are tight and water flow is unobstructed.