2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Cybersecurity Network Systems (8630/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Understanding Threats, Attacks, and Vulnerabilities
- Compare types of attacks.
- Explain threat actor types and attributes.
- Explain vulnerability scanning concepts.
- Research ethical and legal issues related to penetration testing.
- Explain penetration (pen) testing concepts.
- Analyze indicators of compromise for the purpose of determining the type of malware in a given scenario.
Exploring Technologies and Tools
- Explore network infrastructure hardware and software-based components that support organizational security.
- Explore host hardware- and software-based components that support organizational security.
- Assess the network security posture of an organization in a given scenario.
- Assess the host security posture of an organization in a given scenario.
- Assess the data security posture of an organization in a given scenario.
- Troubleshoot common security issues in a given scenario.
- Evaluate the output from security technologies.
- Describe mobile connection methods and deployment models.
- Discuss device management and enforcement concepts.
- Explain secure protocols and their use cases.
Examining Architecture and Design
- Describe frameworks, best practices, and secure configuration guides and their purposes.
- Implement secure network architecture concepts.
- Implement secure systems design.
- Explain the importance of secure staging deployment concepts.
- Explain the security implications of embedded systems.
- Summarize secure application development and deployment concepts.
- Examine cloud computing concepts.
- Outline virtualization concepts.
- Explain how resiliency and automation strategies reduce risk.
- Explain the importance of physical security controls.
Analyzing Identity and Access Management
Demonstrating Risk Management
- Explain the importance of policies, plans, and procedures related to organizational security.
- Summarize business impact analysis concepts.
- Explain risk management processes and concepts.
- Describe appropriate incident response procedures.
- Summarize basic concepts of forensics.
- Explain disaster recovery and continuity of operation concepts.
- Compare various types of controls.
- Execute data security and privacy practices.
Examining Cryptography and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Identify the states of the data that needs to be secured.
- Explain the three main forms of cryptography.
- Identify basic concepts of cryptography.
- Explain common use cases for cryptography.
- Explain algorithms and their basic characteristics in cryptography.
- Configure wireless security settings in a given scenario.
- Implement public key infrastructure in a given scenario.
- Research legal issues in the use of cryptography.
Understanding Ethical and Legal Considerations in Cybersecurity
- Summarize the code of ethics by various standards for cybersecurity/computing professionals.
- Identify laws related to intellectual property.
- Summarize the acceptable use policy (AUP) for your school.
- Differentiate between ethics and laws.
- Distinguish among types of ethical concerns.
- Identify laws applicable to cybersecurity.