Demonstrate safety in the measuring and mixing of chemicals, including volatile chemicals (e.g., furniture and floor strippers, drain cleaners).
DefinitionDemonstration should include the use of safety practices and PPE when mixing chemicals. Additional precautions may be required when handling volatile chemicals.
- What documentation should you read before mixing any chemicals?
- Why is using the appropriate PPE important when mixing chemicals?
- Where can first-aid procedures be found?
- What are volatile chemicals?
- Why is it important to dispose of volatile chemicals properly?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand that experiments in which variables are measured, analyzed, and evaluated produce observations and verifiable data. Key concepts include
- designated laboratory techniques;
- safe use of chemicals and equipment;
- proper response to emergency situations;
- manipulation of multiple variables, using repeated trials;
- accurate recording, organization, and analysis of data through repeated trials;
- mathematical and procedural error analysis;
- mathematical manipulations including SI units, scientific notation, linear equations, graphing, ratio and proportion, significant digits, and dimensional analysis;
- use of appropriate technology including computers, graphing calculators, and probeware for gathering data, communicating results, and using simulations to model concepts;
- construction and defense of a scientific viewpoint; and
- the use of current applications to reinforce chemistry concepts.