Convert standard measurements to the metric system.
DefinitionConversions should include
- describing the significance of the task in the industry
- listing common standard and metric measurements
- identifying the associated equations
- converting fractions to decimals and vice versa.
- Why is it important to convert between systems?
- How many millimeters are in an inch?
- What is the formula for converting inches to millimeters?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand how to analyze and interpret data. Key concepts include
- a description of a physical problem is translated into a mathematical statement in order to find a solution;
- relationships between physical quantities are determined using the shape of a curve passing through experimentally obtained data;
- the slope of a linear relationship is calculated and includes appropriate units;
- interpolated, extrapolated, and analyzed trends are used to make predictions; and
- situations with vector quantities are analyzed utilizing trigonometric or graphical methods.