Apply the properties of the various metals to cutting conditions and problems.
DefinitionApplication involves determining the appropriate cutter geometry and speeds and feeds for cutting various metals during turning, milling, drilling, radial drilling, and CNC operations.
- How is appropriate cutting geometry determined?
- How does speed and feed affect cutting?
- What are the advantages of using insert cutters?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand that the placement of elements on the periodic table is a function of their atomic structure. The periodic table is a tool used for the investigations of
- average atomic mass, mass number, and atomic number;
- isotopes, half lives, and radioactive decay;
- mass and charge characteristics of subatomic particles;
- families or groups;
- trends including atomic radii, electronegativity, shielding effect, and ionization energy;
- electron configurations, valence electrons, and oxidation numbers;
- chemical and physical properties; and
- historical and quantum models.