Describe the formulas for determining speeds and feeds.
DefinitionDescription should include
- the formulas and their variables
- where to locate the speeds and feeds charts containing standard information.
- How is the spindle RPM determined for a lathe with a 2-inch diameter aluminum shaft?
- What are the inches per minute for a half-inch diameter end mill (two fluted) when cutting aluminum?
- What is the maximum spindle speed for a 6-inch diameter, half-inch wide, 80-grit grinding wheel? How might this information be located?
Related Standards of Learning
The student will investigate and understand how to analyze and interpret data. Key concepts include
- a description of a physical problem is translated into a mathematical statement in order to find a solution;
- relationships between physical quantities are determined using the shape of a curve passing through experimentally obtained data;
- the slope of a linear relationship is calculated and includes appropriate units;
- interpolated, extrapolated, and analyzed trends are used to make predictions; and
- situations with vector quantities are analyzed utilizing trigonometric or graphical methods.
The student will investigate and understand how applications of physics affect the world. Key concepts include
- examples from the real world; and
- exploration of the roles and contributions of science and technology.