Identify types of materials used in machining operations.
Identification should be based on the known properties of material and include
- applying machine tools theory (e.g., selecting appropriate machine tools for a given set of operations, operating machine tools to execute a specific operation, participating in machine capability study)
- identifying the common classes of machine tools
- explaining the function of the major subsystems of the machine tools
- selecting and applying a given machine tool appropriately.
- What are the common types of machine tools?
- What is the function of the major subsystems of machine tools?
- What operations can be performed on a mill or a lathe?
- What do color codes signify?
- How might a file be used to determine the hardness of steel?
- How can a magnet help determine material type?
Other Related Standards
Common Career Technical Core
Demonstrate workplace knowledge and skills common to manufacturing.