2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Electricity I (8533/36 weeks, 140 hours)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Applying Basic Construction Safety Standards (Core Safety)
- Comply with federal, state, and local safety legal requirements.
- Maintain a safe working environment.
- Explain safe working practices around electrical hazards.
- Identify emergency first aid procedures.
- Identify the types of fires and the methods used to extinguish them.
- Identify PPE (personal protective equipment) requirements.
- Inspect course-specific hand and power tools to visually identify defects.
- Demonstrate lifting and carrying techniques.
- Demonstrate safe laddering techniques.
- Demonstrate safe scaffolding techniques.
- Demonstrate lockout/tagout procedures.
- Report injuries.
- Report personal, environmental, and equipment safety violations to the appropriate authority.
- Earn the OSHA 10 card.
- Pass safety exam.
Focusing on the Electrician's Profession
- Explain electrician-specific safety issues.
- Discuss current topics in the industry.
- Explore the various occupations available in electricity and related fields.
- Investigate career opportunities in the electrical industry.
- Discuss all postsecondary training and licensing in the electricity field.
- Describe the employee’s role in ensuring the success of the electrical business.
- Identify national and local trade organizations.
Using Tools and Materials
Applying Basic Electrical Theory
Solving Mathematical Problems Related to the Electrical Field
Interpreting Prints and Specifications
Navigating the NEC Book
Selecting and Installing Conductors
Identifying Panelboards and Switchboards
Describing Generators and Power Supplies
Exploring Environmentally Friendly Choices
- Identify energy-efficient equipment and methods.
- Explore the environmental impacts of land use and site location for a proposed building project.
- Explore design choices for a proposed building project that reflect conservation and efficient use of materials.
- Explore design choices for a proposed building project that reflect conservation and efficient use of energy.
- Explore design choices for a proposed building project that reflect conservation and efficient use of water.
- Explore design choices that can affect indoor air quality for proposed building projects.