2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Inventions and Innovations (8454/9 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Exploring Inventions and Innovations
- Explain the importance of technology in the development of society.
- Describe inventions that have affected society.
- Research the areas of the designed world.
- Explain how inventions and innovations relate to the development of new products, processes, and systems.
- Identify the purpose of patents and copyrights.
Exploring Design and Creativity
Applying the Design Process
- Demonstrate safe use of a minimum of five tools and/or pieces of equipment.
- Demonstrate various types of measuring.
- Create sketches and drawings.
- Develop designs for a given problem.
- Evaluate a product design with the goal of innovation.
- Design an improvement for an existing product.
- Produce a model, or prototype, of a design.
- Produce a presentation.
Forming a Production Company
Applying Production Management
- Participate as part of a cooperative team.
- Gather information about a potential invention or innovation.
- Illustrate ideas for developing an invention or innovation.
- Conduct market research on an invention or innovation.
- Develop a production plan to create a model of an invention or an innovation.
- Prepare working drawings to support the production of the invention or innovation model.
- Construct a model or a prototype of an invention and/or innovation.
- Evaluate the model through assessment, or the prototype through testing.
- Participate in a production system of the chosen model.