Demonstrate isolation procedures to include personal protective equipment (PPE) as it applies to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regulations on disease processes.
DefinitionDemonstration should include
- putting on and taking off gown, mask, and gloves in the correct order to ensure that clean technique is used throughout the process and the healthcare worker does not contaminate himself/herself
- identifying CDC categories for specific PPE.
See also “Guidance on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)” (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention): http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/healthcare-us/ppe/guidance.html
- What part of a gown is considered contaminated?
- What should be done when a mask becomes wet/damp?
- What are the steps in putting on a mask, a gown, and gloves?
- What situations/diseases require a nurse to use an N95 respirator mask?