2017/2018 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Introduction to Health and Medical Sciences (8302/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Personal Qualities and People Skills
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate effective speaking and listening skills.
- Demonstrate effective reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate healthy behaviors and safety skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of workplace organizations, systems, and climates.
- Demonstrate lifelong-learning skills.
- Demonstrate job-acquisition and advancement skills.
- Demonstrate time-, task-, and resource-management skills.
- Demonstrate job-specific mathematics skills.
- Demonstrate customer-service skills.
Demonstrating Workplace Readiness Skills: Technology Knowledge and Skills
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Understanding the U.S. Healthcare System
- Highlight the major developments of healthcare history.
- Differentiate among the types of health insurance.
- Differentiate among the types of medical care delivery systems.
- Describe the roles of healthcare team members and the responsibilities of each member.
- Differentiate among the scope and roles of the Virginia Department of Health Professions and the Virginia Department of Health.
- Examine the impact of the Internet on the healthcare industry and on the individual consumer.
Learning Basic Healthcare Terminology
- Identify common medical prefixes, roots, and suffixes and their meanings, and medical terms related to human systems.
- Describe how word parts are combined to form medical terms.
- Interpret common abbreviations used in the healthcare field.
- Identify terminology that relates to the various elements and systems of the body.
Understanding Anatomy and Physiology
- Identify basic anatomical structure and body cavities.
- Identify chemical components of the body.
- Identify structures and functions of the cell.
- Identify structures and functions of tissues, membranes, and glands.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the integumentary system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the skeletal system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the muscular system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of blood.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the heart.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of blood vessels and blood circulation.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the lymphatic system.
- Explain immunity and its relationship with the lymphatic system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the respiratory system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the gastrointestinal system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the endocrine system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the reproductive system.
- Identify structures, functions and diseases of the nervous system.
- Identify structures, functions and diseases of the urinary system.
- Identify structures, functions, and diseases of the sensory system.
Performing Medical Laboratory Procedures
- Describe specimen preparation and handling.
- Identify diagnoses, laboratory tests, and procedures used in diagnoses and treatment of common disorders for each body system.
- Examine body fluids and cells for bacteria, parasites, and other microorganisms.
- Analyze the chemical content of fluids and tissues.
- Examine cells to determine quantity and/or to look for abnormal cells in blood and other body fluids and tissues.
- Assess lab finding, using automated equipment and computerized instruments, microscopes, cell counters, and/or other sophisticated laboratory equipment.
- Document results of laboratory findings.
- Relay lab results to physicians.
Understanding the Role of Nutrition in Health Care
- Identify the six essential nutrients, sources, and functions for optimal health and wellness.
- Describe the digestion and metabolism of food.
- Describe dietary guidelines recommended for health promotion.
- Identify principles of food management and safety.
- Explain basic dietary management techniques.
- Identify common medical conditions related to poor nutrition, including excessive or insufficient body weight.
- Identify dietary patterns relating to ethnic, religious, cultural, and personal preferences.
Exploring Pharmacology Fundamentals
- Identify general principles of pharmacology.
- Describe sources, types, and uses of common drugs.
- Differentiate between generic and trade names for drugs.
- Explain the importance of pharmacokinetics.
- Describe the elements of a prescription.
- Explain common abbreviations used on prescriptions.
- Calculate doses of medications.
- Identify various ways drugs are administered.
- Explain the importance of drugs and supplements in preventive medicine.
- Comply with current state and federal regulations with regard to the practice of pharmacy.
Understanding Patient Care
- Differentiate among the approaches to health care for a variety of patient categories.
- Explain the nature and importance of a medical history.
- Examine concepts of care relating to ethnic, religious, cultural, and personal preferences.
- Explain principles of effective verbal and nonverbal communication, including barriers to communication.
- Apply principles of communication in establishing therapeutic relationships.
- Explain the concept and importance of the Patient’s Bill of Rights.
- Explain the function and importance of advance directives for health care.
- Examine concepts of dealing with dying, death, and grief.
- Explain the concept of integrated and holistic care.
Ensuring a Clean and Safe Healthcare Environment
- Explain the concept of infection control and asepsis.
- Explain the chain of infection.
- Demonstrate hand hygiene procedures.
- Differentiate between transmission precautions.
- Demonstrate the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and workplace practices.
- Describe policies and procedures for handling and disposing of infectious and/or hazardous materials as specified by Occupational Safety and Health Association (OSHA) bloodborne pathogen standards.
- Explain sterile processes.
- Identify the importance of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines.
- Explain the concept and the rationale of protocols and safety procedures/guidelines.
- Identify emergency protection areas and devices.
- Explain methods of fire safety.
- Identify environmental hazards.
- Describe principles of body mechanics.
- Explain radiographic safety.
- Explain the importance of maintaining a safe and clean work environment.
Performing Administrative Functions in the Healthcare Profession
Handling Traumatic and Medical Emergencies
- Explain basic traumatic and medical emergency procedures.
- Identify the essential components of disaster planning.
- Identify items found in a basic emergency kit.
- Describe the causes, symptoms, and treatments of selected medical emergencies.
- Demonstrate cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) with the automated external defibrillator (AED).
Exploring Biotechnology Concepts
Examining Professionalism in the Healthcare Industry
- Identify the components of professionalism.
- Examine ethical and social issues related to the healthcare field.
- Identify professional agencies and organizations in the healthcare field and the roles of each.
- Examine the legal issues related to the health and medical science profession.
- Explain confidentiality and its connection to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Analyze the role of public health in providing health care.
Exploring Healthcare Careers and Employability Skills
- Conduct a self-assessment to determine career interests in the healthcare field.
- Describe the major career fields in health and medical sciences.
- Explain the role and importance of certifications and licensure in the healthcare profession.
- Explain the importance of ongoing professional development and methods of attaining ongoing training in the healthcare industry.
- Research selected healthcare career(s).