2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Introduction to Culinary Arts (8249/18 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Balancing Work and Family
Exploring Culinary Arts
- Describe the origins and development of culinary arts.
- Identify career options, occupational venues, and entrepreneurial opportunities in culinary arts professions and food-related industries.
- Describe the duties of selected positions in the culinary arts professions and food-related industries.
- Identify specialized markets and entrepreneurial opportunities in culinary arts professions and food-related industries.
Investigating Kitchen Safety
Investigating Food Safety and Sanitation Measures
Exploring the Foundations of Culinary Preparations
Demonstrating Basic Culinary Skills
- Demonstrate basic knife skills.
- Identify cooking methods in food preparation.
- Describe food-science principles in food preparation.
- Prepare stocks, soups, and sauces.
- Demonstrate techniques for scaling and measuring volume and weight.
- Demonstrate recipe conversion, using conversion factors (CFs) and formulas.
- Demonstrate basic baking and pastry techniques.
- Describe a kitchen workstation.
Exploring Diverse Cuisines and Service Styles
Exploring Menu Development
- Describe the sources and functions of nutrients.
- Evaluate a food label.
- Evaluate a recipe for nutritional values and preparation process.
- Design menus to meet culinary trends.
- Identify special dietary needs and preferences of various consumer groups.
- Modify a recipe to meet the special dietary needs or preferences of a selected consumer group.
- Explain food-resource management.