2020/2021 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Independent Living (8219/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Balancing Work and Family
- Identify the meaning of work and the meaning of family.
- Describe how families affect work life and how work life affects families.
- Identify strategies for balancing work and family roles.
- Describe the relationship of family goals and principles to work goals and principles.
- Explain ways in which social, economic, and technological changes and trends affect work and family dynamics.
- Develop strategies for sharing responsibilities to manage family and work.
- Apply problem-solving processes to individual and family problems.
Creating and Maintaining Healthy Relationships
- Describe caring, respectful, and responsible relationships.
- Explain the benefits of establishing and maintaining healthy relationships.
- Identify interpersonal skills for successfully relating to others.
- Demonstrate communication skills that contribute to positive relationships.
- Identify the standards that guide behavior in interpersonal relationships.
- Identify conflict-resolution methods.
- Evaluate conflict-prevention and management techniques.
Managining Resources to Achieve Goals
Investigating Career Development Opportunities
Making Responsible Consumer Choices
Managing Personal and Family Finances
- Describe the impact of the fundamental principles of economics on personal finances.
- Identify local, state, and federal taxes.
- Develop a budget or spending plan for personal money management (e.g., earning, spending, saving, and investing).
- Evaluate personal banking services.
- Identify procedures for opening and managing an account in a financial institution.
- Identify savings and investment options.
- Identify strategies for managing risk.
- Describe the borrowing process.
- Evaluate credit cards.
- Identify the influence of a credit report.
- List legal documents related to home, personal, and family management.
- Describe the effects of identity theft.
- List strategies for preventing identity theft.
- Identify practices for debt management.
Creating and Maintaining a Living Environment
Obtaining and Maintaining Clothing for Self and Family
Planning, Preparing, and Serving Nutritious Foods
- Identify the function and sources of nutrients in food.
- Demonstrate food safety and sanitation procedures.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare nutritious meals.
- Demonstrate the ability to serve nutritious meals.
- Identify food-preservation methods.
- Identify preparation techniques for preserving nutritional value in food.
- Evaluate the nutritional information of various foods.
- Identify grocery shopping strategies.
- Describe strategies for healthy eating.
Child Development and Parenting
- Identify principles of human growth and development.
- Describe conditions that influence human growth and development.
- List strategies for promoting growth and development.
- Identify roles and responsibilities of parenting.
- Identify parenting practices that maximize human growth and development.
- List support systems that provide services for parents and families.