2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Family and Consumer Sciences Exploratory I (8208/18 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Exploring Human Development
- Identify influences on individual development.
- Explain the major attributes of character development.
- Explain Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
- Set a personal goal.
- Describe responsibilities for personal safety.
- Manage transition in the school environment.
- Perform a task by completing the steps in a sequence.
Understanding Positive Interpersonal Relationships
Examining the Individual's Role in the Family
Developing Responsibility for Living Environments (Personal Environments)
Understanding Nutrition and Wellness
- Identify the nutrients and their functions.
- Identify information found on food labels.
- Describe common food allergies and dietary needs.
- Demonstrate food safety and sanitation practices.
- Prepare a simple, nutritious snack.
- Demonstrate basic kitchen safety practices.
- Practice dining etiquette.
- Develop a plan for personal wellness.