Identify steps to prepare for a job interview and follow-up.
Identification should include
- characteristics for successful interviews, such as
- a professional appearance
- clothing acceptable in any business interview
- clothing appropriate for different types of jobs
- accessories and grooming as part of the professional appearance
- professional behavior (e.g., punctuality, courtesy, appropriate body language)
- company research done prior to the interview
- acceptable responses to interview questions
- necessary documentation in hand
- behaviors important for a successful personal interview, such as
- arriving in a timely manner and in appropriate dress
- offering a professional greeting and handshake
- using appropriate language throughout the interview
- using appropriate speech, tone, and courtesy titles
- being prepared to answer common interview questions
- being prepared to ask appropriate questions of the interviewer
- bringing the interview to closure in a professional manner
- going alone to the job interview
- elements important in the interview follow-up, such as
- sending a timely, professionally written thank-you letter (additional information not mentioned in the interview)
- making phone contact within two weeks
- filing of contact information for future reference
- completing a self-evaluation of performance in the interview
- How do dress and grooming affect first impressions?
- What is included in preparation for an interview?
- Why should a job applicant not bring anyone along with him/her to a job interview?
- What constitutes acceptable conduct during an interview?
- What should be included in the follow-up communication after an interview?
- Why is follow-up important?
- Why is it not acceptable to send a text in order to follow up?
- What are examples of insightful questions to ask during an interview?
- How can an interviewee exhibit professional courtesy?
- How can body language make or break an interview?