2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Opportunities in Hospitality and Tourism (8139/36 weeks)
NOTE: This course, Opportunities in Hospitality and Tourism (8139), replaces course 8165, Travel and Tourism Marketing; and course 8160, Hotel Marketing.
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Exploring the Unique Aspects of Working in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
- Identify major industry components in the hospitality and tourism field.
- Explain how personal interests can become a career in the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Identify opportunities to perform traditional jobs in the hospitality and tourism industry (opportunities to perform a regular job at a destination/attraction).
- Identify the role of hospitality and tourism in Virginia.
Introducing the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
Investigating Major Segments of the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
Understanding the Economic Importance of Hospitality and Tourism
Performing Management Functions in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry
Understanding Marketing Functions and Concepts as Related to Hospitality and Tourism
Understanding the Global Hospitality and Tourism Market
- Explain why global marketing is important in the hospitality and tourism industry.
- Describe major hospitality and tourism attractions on each continent.
- Explain how differences in culture may influence global travel.
- Identify cross-cultural communication skills.
- Describe how cultural differences may affect a global traveler's wants and expectations.
- Identify risk management and security issues and procedures for global travel.
- Identify personal safety and health concerns important to international travelers.
Marketing the Hospitality and Tourism Product and Service
Providing Customer Service and Sales in Hospitality and Tourism
Maximizing Technology in Hospitality and Tourism
Preparing for Industry Certification
- Describe the process and requirements for obtaining industry certifications related to the Opportunities in Hospitality and Tourism Marketing course.
- Identify testing skills and strategies for a certification examination.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully complete selected practice examinations (e.g. practice questions similar to those on certification exams).
- Complete an industry certification that is representative of the skills learned in this course (e.g., Customer Service and Sales Certification Assessment, Advanced Customer Service and Sales Certification Assessment, ManageFirst Examination, Travel and Tourism Assessment).
Developing a Career in Hospitality and Tourism
- Identify ways to make a living in the hospitality and tourism industry in your own town or region.
- Describe the personal qualifications and skills needed for advancement in the hospitality and tourism field.
- Research local options for postsecondary education in hospitality and tourism management.
- Complete an employment application for a specific job opening.
- Develop a résumé and application or cover letter for manual and electronic transmissions for a selected job opening.
- Prepare for an employment interview.
- Follow-up on the employment interview.
- Cultivate and manage your personal brand.
- Present a plan for reaching your career goal of choice.