2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Marketing (8120/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Examining Marketing and Business
- Analyze the marketing concept and its historical development.
- Explain the components of the marketing mix.
- Explain the functions involved in marketing goods and services.
- Describe trends in marketing.
- Explain the different types of organizations (for-profit, non-profit, government).
- Explain the nature of business activities.
Planning for Business Operations
Communicating in the Workplace
Examining Technology in Marketing
Developing Professionalism in the Workplace
- Use customers’, coworkers’, and managers’ feedback to improve performance.
- Explain the importance of diversity within the work environment.
- Examine ethical behavior in the workplace.
- Resolve client/customer and co-worker conflicts.
- Demonstrate positive working relationships.
- Demonstrate professional workplace behavior.
Understanding Economics in Organizations
Introducing Information Driven Marketing
Developing Product/Service Planning Skills
- Identify the role of product/service planning in marketing.
- Describe types of product/service mix strategies.
- Describe product/service life cycles.
- Describe the importance of branding in marketing.
- Explain the difference between brand name and brand.
- Explain the use of national and private brand names in marketing.
Examining Channel Management
Understanding Product/Service Positioning
- Describe market identification and segmentation.
- Explain positioning and its relationship to target market.
- Determine the competition for a selected product or service.
- Determine the product/service’s position relative to those of the competition.
- Determine the target market of a selected product/service.
- Determine the most effective channels to position the selected product/service.
Pricing Products and Services
Promoting Products and Services
- Examine the concept of the promotional mix.
- Determine the promotional mix for an existing product or service.
- Describe the technology used to market goods and services.
- Compare various types of promotional media.
- Identify components of ads.
- Prepare an advertisement that encompasses knowledge of the marketing mix.
- Explain the concept of visual merchandising.
- Explain advertising campaigns.
- Create a press release and related media materials.
- Explain the concepts of push and pull as they apply to an existing product or service.
- Describe ethical issues related to promotion.
Selling Products and Services
- Identify the various types of selling and the tools used for each.
- Explain the function of a planogram in selling merchandise.
- Explain the importance of customer service.
- Describe how to receive and handle customer complaints and compliments.
- Explain customers' buying motives.
- Demonstrate the selling process for a selected product or service.
- Demonstrate how to process a sale.
Understanding Risk Management
Developing a Career
- Analyze personal interests, personality traits, and skills.
- Research career opportunities in marketing.
- Use various job search strategies.
- Develop/update a résumé.
- Develop a digital résumé and portfolio.
- Describe the steps for posting an electronic résumé.
- Update a cover letter.
- Complete a job application.
- Complete an employment interview.
- Complete follow-up to an employment interview.
- Describe networking skills for professional development.
- Develop a personal marketing plan.
- Identify the purposes and types of employment tests and personality profiles.
- Identify procedures to follow in resigning from a position.