2019/2020 Competency-Based Task/Competency List for Cybersecurity Software Operations, Advanced (6306/36 weeks)
Tasks/competencies when marked as such; they and/or additional tasks/competencies may be taught at the discretion of the school division. All other tasks are considered essential statewide and are required of all students.are considered optional
Demonstrating Personal Qualities and Abilities
Demonstrating Interpersonal Skills
Demonstrating Professional Competencies
- Demonstrate big-picture thinking.
- Demonstrate career- and life-management skills.
- Demonstrate continuous learning and adaptability.
- Manage time and resources.
- Demonstrate information-literacy skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of information security.
- Maintain working knowledge of current information-technology (IT) systems.
- Demonstrate proficiency with technologies, tools, and machines common to a specific occupation.
- Apply mathematical skills to job-specific tasks.
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrate workplace safety.
Examining All Aspects of an Industry
- Examine aspects of planning within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of management within an industry/organization.
- Examine aspects of financial responsibility within an industry/organization.
- Examine technical and production skills required of workers within an industry/organization.
- Examine principles of technology that underlie an industry/organization.
- Examine labor issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine community issues related to an industry/organization.
- Examine health, safety, and environmental issues related to an industry/organization.
Addressing Elements of Student Life
- Identify the purposes and goals of the student organization.
- Explain the benefits and responsibilities of membership in the student organization as a student and in professional/civic organizations as an adult.
- Demonstrate leadership skills through participation in student organization activities, such as meetings, programs, and projects.
- Identify Internet safety issues and procedures for complying with acceptable use standards.
Exploring Work-Based Learning
Introducing Basic Server Systems Concepts
- Explain server operating systems.
- Explain the hardware found in a server.
- Explain the uses of current and emerging server and storage hardware.
- Explain the various security procedures related to storage devices.
- Explain the uses of current and emerging server racking systems.
- Describe client-server architecture, including virtual server architecture.
- Identify the services commonly found on a network server.
- Identify the various components of a virtual network system.
- Explain the authentication of users in a network environment.
Installing Network Operating System and Services
Configuring Network Servers
- Implement directory services on a network.
- Manage directory and file replication.
- Describe the structure and architecture of the DNS.
- Install the DNS.
- Explain how a DHCP client obtains an IP address from a DHCP server.
- Install a DHCP service.
- Manage fault-tolerant volumes, using RAID.
- Explain the difference between roaming and local profiles.
- Implement directory replication.
- Troubleshoot directory services replication.
- Implement Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) services.
- Explain types of server malware protection.
- Identify security threats to applications and web services.
- Implement web-based and server security features.
- Describe the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS).
- Explore a security certificate.
- Describe firewalls.
- Install a firewall.
- Configure basic security policies of a firewall.
- Implement user security policies.
Performing Network Administrative Functions
- Define different types of accounts.
- Configure user and group accounts.
- Implement global, domain, and local account policies.
- Describe considerations and procedures for deploying sharing applications on the network.
- Manage shared disk resources.
- Identify the procedures for the administration of a shared printer.
- Identify the functions, features, and guidelines of enterprise collaboration and communication software calendaring.
- Implement groups for resource access and management.
- Implement disk quotas.
- Explain concepts related to logon authentication.
- Identify methods of encryption.
Performing Network Management and Security Function
- Develop a plan to avoid data loss.
- Back up files and directories.
- Restore files and directories.
- Develop a network performance monitoring plan.
- Troubleshoot user access problems.
- Develop a preventive maintenance plan.
- Develop an audit policy.
- Monitor server resources to track usage and disk space.
- Set up file, directory, and printer auditing.
- Explain the importance of asset management and documentation.
- Describe security concepts.
- Document a network security plan.
- Implement a network security plan.
- Describe hardening techniques.
- Describe various forms of malware protection for clients and servers.
- Explain the basic network security systems and protocols.
Implementing and Managing Web Servers
- Describe the key protocols of web servers.
- Install web-based services (e.g., Apache, Windows IIS).
- Configure web-based services
- Explain the major architectural components and security vulnerabilities of web-based services.
- Establish web-based services.
- Add virtual servers and directories.
- Install a server-side programming language that supports dynamic content.
Providing User Training and Support
Performing Legal and Ethical Functions
Preparing for Industry Certification
- Describe the process and requirements for obtaining industry certifications related to the Cybersecurity Software Operations, Advanced course.
- Identify testing skills/strategies for a certification examination.
- Demonstrate the ability to complete selected practice examinations (i.e., practice questions similar to those on certification exams).
- Complete an industry certification examination representative of skills learned in this course.